TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1 What is a renal diet?
- 2 Vegetables good for kidney
- 3 Best foods for kidney
- 3.0.1 Fruits that good for kidney
- 3.0.2 Vegetables good for kidney
- 4 Best juice for kidney disease
- 5 7 Days Indian diet chart for kidney patients
If you’re a renal patient or an individual who is looking for information on diet for the kidney, then you have bumped into the right place. This article will give you the best information which you have been looking for due to certain unhealthy lifestyles these days such as fast food, pizza, instant seasonings, etc, our body carries all the burden of digesting, distributing the food, segregating the nutritional contents to all parts of our bodied. Hence our kidney gets affected and renal functions get disturbed. By following the Renal diet chart one can get the right solution.
What is a renal diet?
The kidney diet is known as the renal diet. Certain guidelines should be
followed by people with kidney disease. The diet plan depends on the level of kidney failure. Generally, the diet includes sodium, potassium, phosphorus, protein, and fluid that a person ingests. Renal is the fancy name for kidney. However, another name neph is also used for a kidney. So, a renal diet is a diet that is good for the kidneys. A healthy renal diet will cure the progression of kidney disease.
Ckd diet chart is a diet rich in fruits, veggies, low-fat dairy products, whole grains, beans etc. Patients with kidney issues should follow Indian diet chart for kidney patients .
Ckd diet chart should be customized according to the patient’s kidney conditions.
- Patients can take green/herbal tea.
- Renal Patients can consume lukewarm water with basil (Tusli) leaves.
- Black tea
- Ajwain tea
Things to avoid
Consumption of tea and coffee is prohibited for renal patients except for green/herbal tea. It can make the blood acidic. Do not consume green tea before or after a meal. Patients are allowed to take this tea between the gap of half an hour.
Fruits to Avoid
Things to avoid
Avoid fruit juice, hence apple juice is good for kidney patients, it will give potassium to your body.
Vegetables good for kidney
Low Potassium Leafy Vegetables
- Snake Gourd
- Bitter Gourd
- Bottle Gourd
- Round gourd
Low Potassium healthy Vegetables
Nephrotic syndrome is a kidney disorder. In this disorder, the body releases plenty of protein into the urine. This minimizes the protein in your blood and affects the body. A nephro diet can easily manage the problem.
Foods to eat in the nephro diet
- dhulli dall-pulses
- cereals such as wheat flour, rice, rice flakes, suji, oats
- fat-according to need- olive, mustard, desi ghee
Foods to avoid in the nephro diet
- processed cheeses
- high-sodium meats (bologna, ham, bacon, sausage, hot dogs)
- frozen dinners and entrées
- canned meats
- pickled vegetables
- salted potato chips, popcorn, and nuts
- salted bread
- vegetables-broccoli, beans, sweet potato, raw tomato, tamarind, lotus stem, bitter gourd
- fast food
- alchohol, smoking, salted buiscuit, amchur
- extra milk
- namkeen dal-moth, salted buiscuit, extra table salt
Things to remember in the nephro diet
- Be careful of protein intake. The recommended protein intake for nephrotic syndrome is 1 gram (g) per kilogram of body weight per day= 0.45 per pound per day.
- Limit sodium intake to 400 milligrams (mg) per meal (150 mg per snack.
- Limit using seasonings with salt. You must avoid garlic salt, and substitute it with fresh garlic or garlic powder.
- Eat homemade food.
- Cook food with olive or coconut oil.
- Avoid taking salt
- Choose fresh vegetables or canned vegetables with no added sodium
Cabbage, blueberry, banana, cranberry, cauliflower, turnip, onion, garlic, buckwheat, cucumber, pumpkin, and celery, are Foods good for kidneys. If you want a healthy kidney you should follow the diet for a kidney.
Foods healthy for kidneys
- Olive oil is very healthy for people with kidney disease. It’s a great source of fat and phosphorus-free options.
- Cabbage is from the family of cruciferous vegetables. Its consists of vitamins, minerals, and powerful plant compounds. This is a wonderful source of vitamin K, vitamin C, and many B vitamins.
- Bell peppers consist of nutrients that are low in potassium. These brightly colored peppers are full of powerful antioxidant vitamin C.
- Onions are very good for providing sodium-free flavor to renal-diet dishes. Minimizing salt intake should solve kidney issues.
- Radishes are crunchy vegetables. This makes a healthy diet for a renal diet. it’s low in potassium and phosphorus but high in many other important nutrients. Radishes are a good source of vitamin C, an antioxidant.
- pineapple makes a sweet, low potassium source for kidney problems. Also, pineapple is rich in fiber, manganese, vitamin C, and bromelain, an enzyme. This will help to reduce inflammation.
Indian diet chart for kidney patients will provide the best solution to renal patients.
Fruits that good for kidney
Is papaya good for the kidney?
The potassium present in the fruit is an excellent supporter of kidney health. It purifies the toxins deposited in the kidneys. It reduces the accumulation of uric acid in the blood. Payapa seeds also play a vital role in keeping the kidney healthy
Is pomegranate good for the kidney?
Drinking pomegranate juice will bring improvements in lipid and cholesterol levels. Because of its high amount of antioxidants, consuming pomegranate juice will decrease the risk of kidney patients getting cardiovascular disease.
Is mango good for kidney patients?
Mangoes, especially raw mangoes, are high in antioxidant components. This will help the kidneys to remove toxins from the body. Raw mango protects the body and makes you healthy.
Vegetables good for kidney
Is cabbage good for kidney stones?
yes, cabbage is good for kidney stones as it has low oxalate. Vegetables that contain oxalates are not good for your kidney stone. Consume vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, green beans, tomatoes, kale, cabbage, and lettuce.
Is radish good for the kidney?
Radishes are the best vegetables that make a healthy addition to a renal diet. It’s because they are very low in potassium and phosphorus but high in several other important nutrients.
Low potassium foods for kidney patients are necessary to manage their health of the patients. Root vegetables, such as beets and beet greens, taro, parsnips, and potatoes, yams, and sweet potatoes(boiled), bananas, spinach, avocado, prunes and prune juice, raisins, dates, sun-dried or pureed tomatoes, or tomato paste are the best foods that will lower your potassium level.
Low protein food list for kidney disease
Though proteins are critical for our health, for some reducing their intake works as a therapeutic remedy against certain conditions. A low protein diet is often recommended to treat many health conditions like abnormal or impaired liver functions, kidney diseases, and disorders related to protein metabolism.
Low protein food list for kidney diseases include:
- Grains : Oats, rice, pasta, bread, and barley.
- Vedgetables: Asparagus, broccoli, peppers, leafy green vegetables, and tomatoes.
- Fruits : Bananas, pears, peaches, apples,
- Fats : Olive oil, coconut oil, and avocados.
High potassium foods to avoid with kidney disease
The primary function of our kidneys is to clean the blood of wastes and excess fluids. This function of the kidneys helps prevent built up of wastes and keeps electrolytes like phosphate, sodium, and potassium under controlled levels.
But people with kidney diseases have weaker kidney functions and their kidneys are unable to regulate the potassium efficiently, leading to dangerous levels and causing nausea, fatigue, chest pains, difficulty in breathing, and much more. To keep the potassium levels under check, you should know the high potassium foods to avoid with kidney disease, and these are:
- Bananas, avocados, raisins, prunes, oranges, tomatoes, lentils, spinach, Brussels sprouts, split peas, potatoes both regular and sweet, pumpkin, dried apricots, milk, bran products, low-sodium cheese, nuts, and chicken.
Food to improve kidney function
Our diet plays a crucial role in maintaining the health of our kidneys. Here is a list of food to improve kidney function that we can include in our daily diet:
- Skinless chicken: skinless chicken provides high-quality protein for the kidneys and is also low in potassium, phosphorus, and sodium.
- Cauliflower: cauliflowers are a rich source of vitamin C, K, and B vitamin folate along with antiinflammatory compounds and fibers that are good for the kidneys.
- Cabbage: similar to cauliflower, cabbages are low in phosphorus, potassium, and sodium too.
Best juice for kidney disease
Although juices are not often recommended for kidney diseases as whole fruits solve the purpose, if you love to have juices and have kidney problems, the best juices for kidney disease are:
- Apple juice
- Peach juice
Make sure these juices are extracted fresh and have no added sugar. Though these juices are naturally sweet.
Avoid food for kidney
Avoiding certain foods in the diet can help the kidneys improve their function and decrease the accumulation of waste in the body. Here is some food to avoid for kidneys:
- Avocados: are otherwise good, but have high potassium.
- Bananas: another fruit rich in potassium, and needs to be avoided for the health of the kidneys.
- Canned foods: these foods are high in sodium and not good for the kidneys.
- Processed meats: high in salt and proteins, processed meats should be avoided if you have renal issues.
- Dairy and dairy products: dairy and dairy products have high levels of proteins, phosphorous, and potassium and hence are avoided for kidney health.
- Brown rice: is high in potassium and phosphorous. Should be consumed in limitation while on a kidney diet.
- Apricots are high potassium food that should be avoided on a renal diet.
- Green leafy vegetables: leafy greens like spinach and beet greens are loaded with potassium.
Below components are the best diet chart for kidney patients.
In salt sodium is found and its using for common seasoning. Kidney patients are restrained to consue high amount of sodium. By consuming high amount of salt salt can increase your thirst, blood pressure levels, and as a fact swelling in the legs, hands and face. Consume very little amount of salt, that will help to manage blood pressure levels, muscle contraction and nerve function.
choose fresh fruits and vegetables, and don’t consume packaged meats.
Potassium is a mineral and its presents in the body naturally. several food items have potassium.Potassium is vital for muscle function and regulating heartbeat. It, will improve fluid and electrolyte balance in the blood.It is essnetial for kidney patients to balance their potassium consumption. Because consumption of high amount of potassium can lead to muscle weakness, slow pulse irregular heartbeat.
You should Limit the consumption of foods high in potassium. You should choose fresh fruits and vegetables, and avoid salt intake.
Phosphorus is vital for bone development and strength. It helps to maintain muscle function and the development of connective tissue. Kidney patients ability to filter might be decreased because for the kidney issues. However, when the kidney will not function properly, then you will tend to take high phosperous. This can pull extra calcium from your bones and it may deposite in the blood vessels.
Choose foods that are low in phosphorus, don’t take packaged foods, and eat foods with high proteins in a smaller portions.
Kidney patients body can not filetr protein from food. As a result it will accumulate in the blood. Its always important to balance your protein intake, if you are a kidney patient.
Check food labels, avoid eating processed foods and maintain a food chart.
Fluids are very good for hydration in the body. If you are a kidney patient you need to have a balance in your fluid intake. So that the dialysis will completely filter the waste from your body. Don’t consume high amount of fluis. This will increase the pressure on your lungs and heart. It is essential to manage your fluid consumption on the basis of your urine and dialysis setting.
Avoid drinking high amount of fluids and be smart to use the amount of water while cooking food.
7 Days Indian diet chart for kidney patients
|Early Morning 8:30 AM||Sauf Water||Sauf Water||Sauf Water||Sauf Water||Sauf Water||Sauf Water||Sauf Water|
|Breakfast 9:30 AM||Upma – 1 K Milk-1 Glass||Rice Dosa – 1 Milk-1 Glass||Oats Idli – 2 Milk-1 Glass||Uttapam – 1 Milk-1 Glass||Wheat Dosa -1 Milk-1 Glass||Veg Poha -1 K Milk-1 Glass||Veg Upma -1 K Milk-1 Glass|
|Mid-morning 11:30 AM||Fruit -1 portion||Fruit -1 portion||Fruit -1 portion||Fruit -1 portion||Fruit -1 portion||Fruit -1 portion||Fruit -1 portion|
|Lunch 1:00 PM||Cucumber – 1 Multigrain roti-1 Veg-1 K Dahi-1 K||Cucumber – 1 Multigrain roti-1 Veg-1 K Dahi-1 K||Cucumber – 1 Multigrain roti-1 Veg-1 K Dahi-1 K||Cucumber – 1 Multigrain roti-1 Veg-1 K Dahi-1 K||Cucumber – 1 Multigrain roti-1 Veg-1 K Dahi-1 K||Cucumber – 1 Multigrain roti-1 Veg-1 K Dahi-1 K||Cucumber – 1 Multigrain roti-1 Veg-1 K Dahi-1 K|
|Evening Snack 4:00 PM 6:30 PM||Fruit -1 Bowl Tea-1 Cup Makhana-1 K||Fruit -1 Bowl Tea-1 Cup Makhana-1 K||Fruit -1 Bowl Tea-1 Cup Makhana-1 K||Fruit -1 Bowl Tea-1 Cup Makhana-1 K||Fruit -1 Bowl Tea-1 Cup Makhana-1 K||Fruit -1 Bowl Tea-1 Cup Makhana-1 K||Fruit -1 Bowl Tea-1 Cup Makhana-1 K|
|Dinner 8:30 PM||Salad-1 k Dal-1 bowl Veg-1 bowl Multigrain roti-1||Salad-1 k Dal-1 bowl Veg-1 bowl Multigrain roti-1||Salad-1 k Dal-1 bowl Veg-1 bowl Multigrain roti-1||Salad-1 k Dal-1 bowl Veg-1 bowl Multigrain roti-1||Salad-1 k Dal-1 bowl Veg-1 bowl Multigrain roti-1||Salad-1 k Dal-1 bowl Veg-1 bowl Multigrain roti-1||Salad-1 k Dal-1 bowl Veg-1 bowl Multigrain roti-1|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Kidneys are important for our overall health and some of the best ways to improve the kidney functions fast are:
Commit to staying active and fit
Keep your blood sugar under control
Monitor your blood pressure regularly
Eat healthily and keep our weight under check
Drink plenty of fluids
Avoid taking over-the-counter pills
Do not smoke, and
Do a regular kidney check-up
There are some kidney friendly snacks you can eat if you are a kidney patient.
Fruit: apples, guava
Package of low- or no-sodium microwave popcorn.
Low-sodium crackers, pita chips or unsalted pretzels.